Coming to work in the UK?

Speech and language therapists (SLTs) who qualified outside the UK may be able to apply for RCSLT membership as overseas qualified practitioners (OQP).


SLTs from Ireland
, USA, New Zealand, Australia or Canada:
You can apply to become a member of the RCSLT if you are a member of a professional association within the Mutual Recognition of Credentials Agreement (MRA)

SLTs who are not members of an MRA professional association
You may still be able to join the RCSLT, subject to additional checks.

Health Care Professions Council (HCPC)

Registration with the HCPC is a legal obligation
if you want to work as an SLT in the UK.
You must be registered with the HCPC before you apply for membership of the RCSLT.

RCSLT application process for overseas qualified SLTs

To become a full practising member of the RCSLT (CertMRCSLT) you will need to:

  • Provide your HCPC registration details (number and date of registration).
  • Provide a letter of good standing from your professional association if it is in the MRA.

  • Complete a period of supervised practice and any additional training as a ‘transitional member’ within 12 months. For more details see the OQP competency framework
  • Overseas qualified SLTs from countries not within the MRA must be registered with the HCPC and have met certain minimum threshold standards before you can apply for RCSLT membership.

Annual subscription

As a practising member in the UK, you will pay an annual subscription for membership. We will not take any money from you if your membership application is unsuccessful. 

Further enquiries

Write to: Membership and Information Manager, RCSLT, 2 White Hart Yard, London SE1 1NX 

Email: Sharon Tucker

Telephone: 00 44 207 378 3011.

Website design and development by Premier IT