Voice: consultation on RCSLT trans and gender diverse voice and communication therapy competency framework
The RCSLT has developed a competency framework for SLTs working with trans and gender diverse clients. We now welcome feedback from all interested RCSLT members on the draft framework.
Objectives of the framework
- Support SLTs working with trans and gender diverse people to develop competencies to operate safely and effectively, and make the case for access to appropriate supervision and support.
- Provide a tool which can be used by supervisors and managers to identify areas of professional development.
- Support the development of the speech and language therapy workforce, to enable the delivery of a more equitable service for trans and gender diverse clients across the UK.
- Guide the commissioning of speech and language therapy services for trans and gender diverse clients in the delivery of voice and communication therapy.
Audience: SLTs who are currently working with trans and gender diverse clients, or who are working in a voice service and may receive referrals for trans or gender diverse clients in the future.
How can you be involved?
- Respond to the consultation
Read the framework and then share your feedback via our consultation.
We suggest you allow 30 minutes to complete the consultation; the amount of time will vary depending on how many questions you choose to answer - you do not have to answer every question. However, you must complete the survey in one go – you cannot save your answers and return to the consultation at a later date.
The deadline for responses is Friday 3rd February.
- Apply to join the review group
We are looking for members to form a review group who will meet after the consultation has closed to review the feedback and agree changes to be made to the framework. The deadline for applications is 5pm, Monday 30 January.
The group will be made up of approximately six members working across all levels of the framework in a variety of employment contexts.
The group will meet at the RCSLT offices in London on Friday 24th February; please only apply if you are able to attend the meeting on this date. Travel expenses can be reimbursed.
To find out more please email Caroline Wright, RCSLT Project Coordinator.
- In 2014 the RCSLT hosted a workshop for SLTs and others with a role in voice and communication therapy for clients with gender dysphoria.
- At the workshop the need for a competency framework was identified.
- Following the workshop, a first draft competency framework was created and shared.
- Since then the draft has been through a number of revisions, incorporating feedback collected from the National Transgender Voice and Communication Therapy CEN, and has been re-formatted to bring it in line with the RCSLT Dysphagia Training & Competency Framework (2014).
Please email Caroline Wright, RCSLT Project Coordinator.