Opportunities for paediatric practice placements
8 July, 1pm – 2pm
Join Judith Broll, director of professional development at the RCSLT, and speakers:
- Paula Leslie, consultant scholar and lead author of the competency framework
- Beverley Curtis, SLT and clinical lead paediatric placements, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
- Naomi Bevan, learner and soon to be NQP
As they discuss the opportunities available for paediatric practice placements, and to hear the experiences of a practice educator and learner.
By attending this event, delegates will:
- Understand more about what will be expected from clinicians and practice educators when they take on a learner
- Hear a case study from a service who offer practice placements in a paediatric dysphagia setting
- Have an opportunity to feed into the next steps with regard to the EDS competencies piece of work
In light of feedback from service managers across the UK, Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) international partners and experience from COVID-19, it has highlighted that the SLT profession requires a larger, more EDS trained workforce. It became clear that the issue of future proofing the profession through pre-registration training in EDS difficulties was becoming an imperative.
We therefore need to ensure uniformity of EDS competencies that are delivered at the point of graduation across the UK, to ensure all learners graduate with the same baseline knowledge and skills in EDS. Ensuring that they are aligned with those delivered by our international colleagues is an additional benefit.
Health Education England (HEE) are supporting the RCSLT to deliver entry-level EDS competencies in pre-registration education and training by 2026. Although supported by HEE, this is a UK-wide initiative.
The primary audience for these webinars is practice educators and potential practice educators, and we also welcome HEI staff, students and any interested colleagues
The webinar series will feature the following opportunities to hear more about this programme of work: