Registration for this event has now closed. The recording of the first hour of the programme is now available.
Outcome measurement is an essential part of delivering high quality speech and language therapy. Through a combination of presentations and workshop sessions, this virtual event will look at how outcome measures can support a data-driven approach to care – from using it to tailor the care provided to individual service users, through to transforming service delivery and driving quality improvement.
This is particularly important in the context of the challenges presented as a result of the pandemic, both in terms of the impact on those who have needs associated with COVID-19 and those whose care has been, and continues to be, disrupted.
The event will also provide an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of speech and language therapy services across the UK utilising outcome measures.
It is recognised, though, that outcome measurement is not always straightforward. Too often, speech and language therapy services experience challenges associated with collecting, collating and/or analysing their outcomes data, limiting the ability to make use of it to inform clinical practice and service delivery.
From the pre-recorded videos and attending the event, delegates will:
- Understand the context in which the RCSLT outcomes programme fits:
- National policy
- RCSLT vision
- Local service delivery
- Understand what tools and resources have been developed by the RCSLT to support with measuring outcomes
- Have an opportunity to:
- hear about practical examples of how these tools and resources have been used
- share learning and identify solutions to challenges in implementing outcome measures in a clinical setting
Download the event programme (PDF).
The chair of the RCSLT Board of Trustees, the chief AHP officers for England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the chief allied health professions advisor for Wales have contributed short videos ahead of this event, talking about the importance of outcome measurement, and how this fits in the context of the RCSLT strategic vision for the speech and language therapy profession and the national policy context.
- Video from Mary Heritage, chair of the RCSLT Board of Trustees
- Video from Suzanne Rastrick, chief allied health professions officer, England
- Video from Carolyn McDonald, chief allied health professions officer, Scotland
- Video from Ruth Crowder, chief allied health professions adviser, Wales
- Video from Professor Suzanne Martin, chief allied health professions officer, Northern Ireland
We have also prepared a video to help you navigate the key tools and resources that the RCSLT provides on this topic.
- Video from RCSLT about the key resources and tools on outcome measurement
Download the delegate pack (PDF).
- What do we mean by outcome measures and why is measuring outcomes important? Professor Pamela Enderby OBE, University of Sheffield – presentation slides (PDF) and recording
- How does outcome measurement sit within the bigger picture? Kamini Gadhok MBE and Katie Chadd, RCSLT – presentation slides (PDF) and recording
- Practical uses of outcome measure data – myth busting and maximising impact Vicky Styles, AAC West – presentation slides (PDF) and recording
- Insights into implementing TOMs – success factors and potential barriers to implementation Emma Carvell, Quality Lead, Therapies, Wirral Community Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust – presentation slides (PDF)
- Our experience: Implementing outcome measures and getting ‘buy in’ Cath Lowry, Operational Lead, Children’s Speech and Language Therapy Service, Your Healthcare CIC – presentation slides (PDF)
- Using outcome measures in a new area of practice: Long COVID Sophie Chalmers, Speech and Language Therapist, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust – presentation slides (PDF) and recording
- Using ROOT TOMs within inpatient adult neuro-rehab Amber Masterson, Speech & Language Therapist, The Marbrook Centre – recording
- Getting into Outcome Measures – experiences from an adult community service Charly Harris, Professional Lead for Adult Speech and Language Therapy, Sussex Community Foundation Trust – presentation slides (PDF)
- Measuring Outcomes Outside Individualised Care Melanie Packer, Placement Lead / Senior Lecturer – Department of Speech & Language Therapy and Rehabilitation Studies at Faculty of Health, Education and Life Sciences, Birmingham City University – presentation slides (PDF)
- Using feedback to improve SLT training Liz James, Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist and Serena Lo, Speech and Language Therapist, Biborough Mainstream Schools Team, Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust – presentation slides (PDF)
- Overcoming information governance and technical issues Vicky Styles, AAC West, Catherine Martin, Communication Aid Service East of England – presentation slides (PDF)
- Demystifying data analysis: an introduction Seminar session facilitated by Katie Chadd, Kamini Gadhok and Amelia Austin – presentation slides (PDF)
- Owning outcomes: event illustration (PDF)
- Data analysis action plan (PDF)
- Links to resources and tools provided by the RCSLT (PDF)
- Owning outcomes – Q and A (PDF)
Registration for this event has now closed. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.