RCSLT and Health Education England (HEE) speech and language therapy apprenticeship workshop
This webinar took place on Thursday 29 April 2021, 9.30am – 1pm.
Watch the full recording:
Welcome and introduction: Judith Broll, director of professional development, RCSLT.
How can HEE support you: Elaine Lancaster, talent for care relationship manager (apprenticeships) – South East; and Jennifer Stone, talent for care relationship manager (apprenticeships) – London, Health Education England.
RCSLT update: Berenice Napier, policy adviser, RCSLT.
The role of the employer: Carmel Brady, SLT and service lead for children’s speech and language therapy, Your Healthcare CIC; Michelle Humphrey, interim head of therapies, St Bartholomew’s Hospital and former speech and language therapy professional lead, Barts Health NHS Trust; and Deirdre Rainbow, head of speech and language therapy, King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
The role of HEIs and working with employers: Julie Lachkovic, deputy head of department of health professions, Manchester Metropolitan University; Victoria Lundie, senior lecturer and course lead speech and language therapy, Birmingham City University; Rachel Brown, senior apprenticeships and summer schools manager; Nikki Williamson, HSC lead for apprenticeships and lecturer in occupational therapy, University of Essex; and Annabel Kay, lead for SLT apprenticeships and practice educator in speech and language therapy, University of Essex.
Summary and conclusions: Derek Munn, director of policy and public affairs, RCSLT.
To find out more please visit the apprenticeships page
Aims and objectives
This workshop will be useful if you’d like to:
- Hear the latest information on speech and language therapy apprenticeships in England.
- Understand the steps required and support available to develop an SLT apprenticeship in your organisation.
- Discuss how the apprenticeship can be supported in your region.
Who is the workshop for?
- Employers of SLTs, Allied Health Professional (AHP) managers, AHP Councils and Integrated Care Systems in England who would like to employ SLT apprentices in the future or see how SLT apprentices can support their growing healthcare teams.
- Universities who provide SLT courses or who aspire to provide the apprenticeship in future.
What are the objectives?
- To provide an up-to-date overview of progress on the speech and language therapy apprenticeship.
- To provide an overview of Health Education England (HEE) work to support apprenticeships.
- To hear from other AHPs about their experience of setting up apprenticeships.
- To provide an opportunity to discuss the practical delivery of the speech and language therapy apprenticeship.
By attending this event delegates will be able to:
- Hear the latest information about the SLT apprenticeship.
- Hear about support and resources available in developing an apprenticeship.
- Understand the steps required to develop an SLT apprenticeship in their organisation.
- Hear case studies on how other professions have developed the apprenticeship.
- Find out more about speech and language therapy apprenticeship programmes already underway.
- Contribute their, or their organisation’s, experience, activity or plans in relation to the speech and language therapy apprenticeship.
- Be able to make links with other employers to help jointly resolve challenges.