The Talk for Writing approach uses a gradual release of responsibility model to enable children to write independently for a variety of audiences and purposes within different subjects. A key feature is that children internalise the language structures needed to write through ‘talking the text’, as well as close reading. The approach moves from dependence towards independence, with the teacher using shared and guided teaching to develop the ability in children to write creatively and powerfully.
There will also be a range of exhibitors and a welcome opportunity to network face to face once more!
A detailed schedule for the day is provided below:
Session 1 (9.15 – 10.45)
- The Creative Hook – engaging children, giving them context to writing.
- Internalising the model text – learning the underlying, transferable language patterns and text structure using a pictorial text map and actions to strengthen memory and embed the text in the long-term memory.
Session 2 (11.15 – 12.45)
- Deepening understanding of the model text through:
– Close reading through the eyes of the reader
– Analysis of writing techniques through the eyes of the writer.
- Linking the effect we want to create for the reader with how we do it (the grammar) in a Writer’s Toolkit
- Boxing up the model text to find the underlying pattern that will allow children to organise and stay in track with their writing.
Session 3 (1.30 – 3.30)
- Innovating the model text – using what we already know to help us create something new:
– Change the text map or use the boxing up structure to plan and organise ideas
– Using shared and guided writing to scaffold children’s independent writing.
- Adapting the approach for children with SEND:
– Immersing in the text before Imitation phase
– Using the 5 sentence story to build confidence and grow whole texts gradually, building consistently on secured language.
Time: 8.45 registration
Conference: 9.15 – 15.30
Venue: Caledonian Club, 9 Halkin St, London SW1X 7DR
Nearest Tube: Hyde Park Corner
Dress code: No jeans, shorts or trainers