Areas of practice


Where can I find resources and support to help me throughout my course?

The RCSLT has a range of pages aimed at supporting students at all stages of their course, these can be accessed here:

Student introduction

The RCSLT also provides a presentation to all students in their first year and then again in their final year of their course. If you have not seen us at your university yet please do ask your tutor to check whether this has been booked in yet.

Newly Qualified Practitioner (NQP)

Where can I find resources and support to help me with my NQP competencies and throughout my NQP year?

The RCSLT has a number of resources to help support you through this important transitional period in your career, these can be accessed here.


In what settings do speech and language therapists work?

Please see our help and support section on what is speech and language therapy.

In what settings do speech therapist work within the NHS?

Speech and language therapists work in all settings within the NHS, from acute adult wards to providing services to children within local schools, from general services to highly specialist settings. More information about the different specialisms that speech therapists work in can be found via the links below.

What is speech and language therapy

SLT work settings overview

How much do speech therapists earn in the NHS?

For more information about NHS pay scales please see here.

Independent Therapist/Practitioner

I’m thinking about working privately either alongside my NHS role or solely as an independent therapist, what do I need to be aware of?

In the current working climate many therapists are looking at changing from working within the NHS to independent practice, or looking to take on private work when still working in the NHS. HCPC registration allows registrants to work in either setting in the UK but there are a number of things that you may need to be aware of before to ensure that you are fully covered. You can find more information via the links below:

Independent SLTs

Insurance Information

Speech Therapy Manager

What resources has the RCSLT developed to help support me as a manager of a team or service?

The RCSLT has developed a number of resources to help managers with specific challenges from workforce planning, to responding to cuts and proving the value and impact of your service, all of which can be accessed via the links below:


Support for services

Local influencing

The RCSLT has also developed some specific web pages and resources based around leadership skills which may also be a useful tool within the workplace, these can be accessed via this link.

Speech therapy assistant/support worker

How do I become an SLT assistant?

Currently there is no set academic requirement in order to become a speech therapy assistant, instead there will be local requirements for these roles. The best way to find assistant roles within the NHS is to check the NHS jobs website or to approach services directly to enquire about vacancies.

Can assistants/support workers join the RCSLT?

Of course, the RCSLT has a dedicated membership for assistant/support workers which provides access to a wealth of resources including Bulletin magazine. To find out how to join and more information regarding the benefits of joining please see our membership pages via this link.

What resources does the RCSLT have to support me in my role as an assistant?

The RCSLT is developing a range of resources to support assistants and support workers within their role. For more information please see this link.

Speech Therapist working in schools

Where can I find out more information about my role as an SLT when working in/for a school?

The RCSLT has developed a wealth of resources for speech therapists working in schools whether directly employed by the schools or through other external sources. You can find more information on our “SLTs in schools” web pages via the link below:

SLTs in schools

Justice Sector

How and in what settings do SLTs work within the justice sector?

SLTs work with young people and adults in the community and in secure settings. Speech and language therapy significantly improves the communication skills of young offenders which reduces the risk of reoffending, increases access to rehabilitation and treatment programmes, and can improve an individual’s chances of engaging in education and employment. The RCSLT has developed a number of resources to support SLTs in these settings, please see the links below for more information.

Young offenders and criminal justice

Role of SLTs in justice settings

Working Abroad

I’m thinking about working abroad, what do I need to know?

The RCSLT does have a mutual recognition agreement (MRA) with a number of countries across the world such as USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Republic of Ireland, which is designed to facilitate the transference of qualifications gained in the UK to another country. More information on this and working in non-MRA countries can be found via the link below:

Working as a SLT outside the UK.

1 of 9