Financial information for speech and language therapy students

Current students

A guide to NHS Student Bursaries is available which details the support you can get if you attend a health professional course in England. The page also contains useful links to NHS bursary information; you will also find more information on the NHS Careers website.

If you attend a course in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland similar arrangements apply, but you will need to consult the relevant national authorities:

  • Wales: NHS (Wales) Student Awards Unit, tel: 029 2026 1495

  • Scotland: Student Awards Agency for Scotland, tel: 0845 111 1711

  • Northern Ireland: Department of Learning, Training and Employment Student Support Branch, tel: 028 902 577 77

If you are still in financial difficulty after taking your entitlement to a bursary and student loans, then apply to your university or student union for information on hardship funds.

Child tax credit is available for all families with children, including students. Funding through the NHS Bursary Scheme is not taken into account when calculating your child tax credit entitlement. For more information call the Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 300 3900 or visit the Inland Revenue website.

If you are a student on a clinical placement, contact your NHS Childcare Coordinator who may be able to assist you in accessing NHS-supported childcare.

Useful guides

Students starting courses in England from 2017

The financial support available for students taking approved courses in speech and language therapy is changing from 1st August 2017 in England.

Students now need to apply for a student loan rather than receive an NHS bursary. There is also other funding support available for students with child dependants and support for excess travel and dual accommodation expenses in relation to attending placements.

Full details available to date are in the guides below; also check with any university you apply to. 

Useful guides

Website design and development by Premier IT