How can I change my membership details?

Whether you have moved house, changed your name or are taking a career break, our membership team is happy to help you with changing any aspect of your membership details at any time. Please contact the team and they will be able to guide you through the process:

020 7378 3010 / 3011 or contact us.

With the development of our new website, you will have more flexibility to change some of your own membership details.

I’m taking a career break, what are my options regarding my membership?

Whether you are going on maternity leave or taking a career break, contact our membership team and they will be happy to discuss the options available to you.

020 7378 3010 / 3011 or contact us.

Membership categories and fees

Membership category Designatory letters Annual direct debit* 2021/22 Monthly* Card payment 2021/22
UK Resident
Certified CertMRCSLT £265.00 £22.08 £278.75
Non-practising MRCSLT £165.00 £13.75 £178.75
Newly-qualified (practising) MRCSLT £165.00 £13.75 £178.75
Newly-qualified (non-practising) MRCSLT £44.00 £3.66 £57.75
Returner MRCSLT £165.00 £13.75 £178.75
Retired MRCSLT £67.00 £5.58 £80.75
Student MRCSLT Free Free Free
Assistant MRCSLT £96.00 £8.00 £109.75
OQ practising MRCSLT £265.00 £22.08 £278.75
OQ non-Practising MRCSLT £165.00 £13.75 £178.75
Overseas resident
International affiliate MRCSLT £215.00 £17.91 228.75
Individual subscriber (UK) n/a £42.00 £3.50 55.75
Individual subscriber (non-UK) n/a £117.80 £9.81 £131.50
Corporate subscriber (UK) n/a £76.00 £6.33 £89.75
Corporate subscriber (non-UK) n/a £152.50 £12.70 £166.25

* Includes £13.75 discount for payment by direct debit

Download RCSLT membership categories and fees 2021-2022 (PDF)

How do I cancel my membership?

We are sorry to hear that you want to cancel your membership and hope that the RCSLT has provided you with the resources and support you required throughout your career. If you are considering cancelling your membership, please contact our membership team to discuss the options available to you:

020 7378 3010 / 3011 or contact us.

However, if you do need to cancel your membership, we have a 1 month notice period and your request to cancel your membership must be provided in writing to our membership team either by email or post:

Membership Team
2 White Hart Yard

It is best to write to our membership team at the end of a month regarding cancelling your membership, and please let us know the reason you wish to cancel your membership when you submit your request. The membership team will arrange a refund for any overpayment of membership fees that is due.

Does my membership include insurance and legal support?

Professional indemnity insurance and medical malpractice cover is included as a benefit of Certified, Newly Qualified – Practising, Returner, Student, Overseas Qualified – Practising and Assistant membership.

Non-Practising and Retired members are also covered for their period of practice. Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) fitness to practice legal defence cover is also included with membership for SLTs registered with HCPC and who are domiciled in the UK or the Republic of Ireland.

All registered allied health professionals are required to hold appropriate professional indemnity (PI) insurance to practice as a condition of their registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). It is essential that you have adequate insurance cover in place should you find yourself facing legal action. Failure to have PI insurance in place may result in a registrant being removed from the register and, therefore, unable to practice.

One of the benefits of being an RCSLT member is that your annual membership includes PI/medical malpractice cover as part of the insurance provision under the RCSLT’s group policies.

Read our guide (PDF) which summarises the group policies and the additional covers which were added with effect from the 1 September 2015, and also advises what to do in the event of an incident at work or a complaint about your work.

Download the To Whom it May Concern Letter (PDF) as proof of cover for RCSLT members practising in the United Kingdom. This letter should be adequate to provide evidence of insurance cover, but please contact us if you require any further documentation.

Additional business insurance is available

Working with the RCSLT’s insurance broker, Premier BusinessCare, allows us to help you with any extra insurance needs you or your practice may have, that are not already covered by your membership insurance package.

The team at Premier BusinessCare are experienced in sourcing the right insurance solutions from a range of the UK’s insurers to provide you with insurances including:

  • Specialist professional indemnity/medical malpractice for limited companies with non-RCSLT registered employees.
  • Overseas business travel for limited companies.
  • Office insurance.
  • Cover for your contents and equipment.
  • Employers’ liability.
  • Cyber Liability.
  • Legal expenses.

Get expert advice from Premier BusinessCare today for all your insurance queries:

The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Allianz Business Services Limited trading as Premier BusinessCare, an insurance intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”). Details of Allianz Business Services Limited’s authorisation (registration number 304779) can be verified by visiting the Financial Services Register which can be found on the FCA website.  The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and Allianz Business Services Limited are not part of the same group.

I qualified as an SLT in the UK and want to work overseas. How do I do this?

If you wish to work in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the USA, you may be eligible to apply to become a member of the SLT professional body within the relevant country via the Mutual Recognition of Credentials Agreement (MRA), as long as you meet the requirements for a letter of good standing (PDF), which forms part of this process.

Each country also has further requirements for membership and you should contact the relevant professional body to check on their latest requirements.

See the below list of relevant MRA organisations, in order to view the requirements of the organisation of the country that you are intending to move to:

Most SLT qualifications that are obtained in an EU country are transferable throughout Europe, with only minor further requirements. If you wish to work in an EU country, you should check with the professional body in the relevant country to ensure that you are able to fulfil any further requirements they may have.

You can find the contact details for all professional bodies across the world on the HCPC website.

How do I claim back tax on my membership fee?

You are able to claim back tax on the membership fees you pay each year using this form (PDF). You can also ask for your tax relief to be backdated if you have not claimed it in the past.

You can find out more about claiming back tax on the HMRC website.

1 of 7