20 February 2023
Six allied health professions have come together to launch #PrescribingNow
The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, the British Dietetic Association, the Royal College of Occupational Therapists, the British and Irish Orthoptic Society, and the Society of Radiographers are calling on the UK Government to begin the process of extending independent prescribing responsibilities to us.
Extending these responsibilities to us where it is safe and appropriate to do so within the scope of our professional practice will:
- deliver better and more timely patient care
- reduce pressure on other healthcare professionals, including GPs
- support our professional development as healthcare professionals
The #PrescribingNow campaign builds on our collective influencing work during the passage of the Medicines and Medical Devices Act (2021). It is supported by the British Association of Prosthetists and Orthotists as prosthetists and orthotists will be seeking independent prescribing responsibilities in the future.
As part of the campaign, we are:
- Writing to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
- Writing to all MPs and members of the House of Lords
- Providing the facility for individual AHPs and others to email their MPs
More information, including how you can support the campaign, is accessible on the dedicated #PrescribingNow webpage.