Giving Voice: campaigning and influencing
What is the Giving Voice campaign?
The Giving Voice campaign aims to ‘give voice’ to people with speech, language and communication needs to ensure their requirements and those of their carers and families are met.
We aim to demonstrate how speech and language therapy makes a difference to individuals and the broader society across the UK.
Giving Voice helps speech and language therapy services to demonstrate speech and language therapists’ unique value to national and local decision makers, while showing evidence of our efficiency and value for money
‘Campaigning’ is a very broad term. It describes everything from a community group getting together to petition against the closure of a local swimming pool, to a presidential election campaign which reverberates around the globe.
The Giving Voice campaign looks different wherever RCSLT members pick up and run with the concept. However, by promoting the four principal messages, our collective activity contributes towards an increased awareness and appreciation of the role of speech and language therapy in our communities.
What is influencing?
Influencing at all levels is vital in giving voice to people with communication and swallowing needs.
- Raising awareness of speech and language therapy
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Campaigning on specific issues relevant to people with communication and swallowing needs
Our key messages
- Speech and language therapists (SLTs) are specialists who enable people to develop or regain vital communication and swallowing skills.
- Problems with speech and language imprison the individual and severely limit their participation in family life, the community, education and the world of work.
- Tackling communication and swallowing problems reduces avoidable costs and waste in the NHS, local authorities, the criminal justice system and the wider economy.
- Urgent changes are needed to support timely access to speech and language therapy for those who need it.
Giving Voice broke new ground for the RCSLT and we hope it marks the start of an exciting journey for you too.
Log in to view our member information on local influencing. These pages provide resources to help you to demonstrate to your local stakeholders how you:
- Deliver their objectives
- Improve outcomes for them
- Improve outcomes for people who benefit from speech and language therapy.
Our factsheets include case studies and stories showing how speech and language therapy changes lives.
View and download our speech and language therapy factsheets.
Using the Giving Voice logo
You can download and use these Giving Voice logos on material produced for your campaign:
Throughout the year, RCSLT marks awareness events with relevance to speech and language therapy and people with speech, language, communication and swallowing needs. Stay tuned to @GivingVoiceUK on Twitter to follow our campaigning activity, and get involved by using our monthly notes to support your own campaigning efforts.
2023’s awareness days
2022’s awareness days
December’s note: December awareness events (PDF)