The four domains of practice are overall themes for the framework, allowing you to focus on different aspects of your SLT career as and when you want to.
Each of the Professional Development Framework’s four domains of practice has several subthemes, with aligned detailed topics. You can use the subthemes and the detailed topics as part of your self-evaluation. The five core components have been woven through the four domains of practice, subthemes and detailed topics to embed them across all areas of learning and development.
The four domains and their subthemes are listed below.
- Eating, drinking and swallowing
- Safe, effective, high-quality practice
- Ethical and values-based practice
- Autonomy and accountability
Facilitation of learning
- Supervision and coaching
- Teaching and mentoring
- Creating learning resources, environments and opportunities
- Self-awareness and development
- Lifelong formal and informal learning
Leadership and management
- Effective teamwork
- Promote the profession
- Lead change
- Compassionate and inclusive leadership at all levels
Evidence, research and innovation
- Evidence-based practice
- Quality improvement and outcomes
- Research engagement
- Entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship