If you have a question that you would like to see answered here, please email info@rcslt.org

Q: How do NQP goals and competencies link to the RCSLT’s five core capabilities?

A: Each goal is linked to one of the RCSLT’s five core capabilities. The five core capabilities are communication, partnerships, leadership and lifelong learning, research and evidence-based practice and professional autonomy and accountability.

These capabilities provide a focus for learning activities, and each one represents a particular strength that you as an SLT brings to the services you provide. The goals reflect the nature of what an NQP is expected to be able to do within each core capability. In the CPD Diary, we have automatically linked each goal to their capability so you do not have to do this

Q: What counts as evidence? And how much evidence do I need to get a goal signed off?

A: Evidence can be provided in a variety of ways and there is no one set amount of evidence that is required for each goal. You should discuss the framework with your supervisor and agree what evidence is needed for each goal so that you can plan what is required.

The framework is designed so that any goals which your supervisor feels that you are already competent in may only require a small amount of evidence or even just observation to qualify to be signed off leaving more time to work on those elements that require more work.

Some examples of evidence which may be used could include:

  •  Writing a case study
  • Discussing with supervisor
  • Reflection on a journal article
  • Presentations or in-service training
  • Being observed
  • Case notes

The amount of evidence needed will be determined between you and your supervisor – evidence should be supplied and discussed during supervision sessions.

As your supervisor deems that you have completed a goal they should sign that goal off on the system. You do not need to wait until all goals have been completed before they are signed off.

Q: Who can sign off my goals?

A: Your goals can be signed off by anyone that meets the requirements of the framework (i.e. HCPC and RCSLT registered) and who has themselves already completed the framework.

If you move jobs before having all the elements of your framework signed off you can continue to collect evidence in your new role. You should not need to start again from the beginning but you will need your previous supervisor to sign off all goals that you have already achieved before starting a new role.

Q: What if my workplace requires me to complete a different set of competencies/goals?

A: The NQP framework has been designed to run in parallel with other competency frameworks, and often crosses over with evidence you need to collect for any other frameworks. However, the RCSLT does require the competencies to be completed on the correct paperwork to ensure that your category can be changed to fully
certified member and to ensure that you are receiving the correct insurance cover.

Please note that any additional competencies or goals to the mandatory RCSLT ones, are not needed to be completed to transfer to fully certified RCSLT membership.

Q: Collecting evidence when not working as an SLT?

A: If your first role is work as a non-SLT then you can start to collect evidence to put towards your goals, however you cannot have any officially signed off until you are working as an SLT.

Please email info@rcslt.org to find out about volunteering guidelines and a form that can be used to help record the evidence you collect.

Q: Do I need to collect CPD alongside my competency framework?

A: No, the evidence you collect towards your goals are counted as CPD

Q: What supervision and support do I need as an NQP?

A: Supervision is an essential component of a good quality speech and language therapy service, ensuring SLTs are up-to-date in their knowledge and skills and are able to manage clinical risk. It is a formal arrangement in which an SLT can discuss their work regularly with someone who is experienced and qualified.

Schools may be able to buy in supervision from their local NHS service or private therapists in their area. The Association of Speech and language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP) has a list of private practitioners.

The length of time NQPs require to complete the framework can span from nine months to two years. During this period, NQPs should receive more frequent supervision by a certified member of the RCSLT with appropriate experience of supporting new graduates. The RCSLT considers that any breach of the requirements around supervision of NQPs may pose a significant risk to service users, to the NQP and their employer.

If these requirements are not adhered to the indemnity insurance that NQPs have as part of their RCSLT membership may be invalidated.

Q: What do I need to know about working abroad?

A: The Mutual Recognition of Credentials Agreement, known as ‘the MRA’, is an agreement between:

  • Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT)
  •  American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
  • Speech Pathology Australia (SPA)
  • Canadian Association of Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA)
  •  Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists (IASLT)
  •  New Zealand Speech-Language Therapists Association (NZSTA)

The agreement enables full RCSLT members to join any of the others. Members need to have been registered with the RCSLT for one year and must have completed their NQP competency framework to be eligible to apply for the MRA.

RCSLT members who want to apply for membership of a professional association overseas must:

  • contact the professional association in the country in which you are going to work to check on any
    additional competency requirements and application processes
  •  contact the RCSLT to let us know you are intending to make an application using the MRA
  •  secure a letter of good standing from the RCSLT. To do this, please complete the application form on
    our website
  • secure a reference from your manager. Please ask them to complete this reference form
  • send your application to the professional association in the country in which you are going to work.

If you are looking to work in an EU country, most qualifications that are obtained in an EU country are transferable throughout Europe with only minor further requirements. You would need to check with the professional bodies in these countries to ensure that you are able to fulfil any further requirements they may
have. Visit the HCPC website to find  contact details for all professional bodies across the world.


Q: What if I want to volunteer/work in a country that does not have a professional body?

A: If you are looking to volunteer or work in a country that does not have a regulatory/professional body or where speech therapy is an ‘up and coming’ profession you may want to contact Communication Therapy International
(CTI) who are a CEN run by therapists that have volunteered and worked all over the world. They are set up to advise and guide therapists who are looking to volunteer or work abroad, and are able to get you in contact with agencies and other therapists working in the areas you are looking for.

Q: Can I work in independent practice and what do I need to know?

A: Speech and language therapists who are independently assessing, planning and providing intervention for patients/ clients with dysphagia should have been signed off at Level C (emerging specialist). This corresponds to Specialist Dysphagia Practitioner in the Inter-Professional Dysphagia Framework (IDF).

NQPs whose first role is within an independent organisation or a charity should ensure they are aware of their responsibilities and entitlements regarding supervision, particularly where their supervisor is not an SLT.