The Box training
The Box training
The Box is a free elearning tool designed for professionals working in the justice sector.
It is designed to give professionals in the justice system the ability to identify communication issues and the skills to work successfully with individuals who have such issues.
Research shows that a high number of offenders have speech, language and communication needs. Antisocial behaviour, school exclusion and custodial sentences can be a direct result of these needs.
The Box aims to develop your understanding of what communication difficulties are, and the possible impact on the individual and on your work with them.
It can be completed in any order, at your own pace – the modules will save your progress so you do not have to do it all at once.
The course can be accessed remotely, which:
- saves learner’s time away from work (which is often hard to arrange for those working in the justice system) and
- saves learner’s travel costs, compared to attending a face-to-face course.
In addition the RCSLT is delighted to be able to offer it free of charge.
Access The Box
To access The Box learning journey, please go to www.rcsltcpd.org.uk
Open The Box to:
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of SLCN – what they are and the effect they can have on someone’s behaviour
- Recognise the signs that someone may have SLCN, and know where to go for further support
- Find out how to use screening tools to check for SLCN
- Learn how to apply different support strategies to help people with SLCN to understand and engage in the justice process
- Understand the legal responsibilities and how they apply to you and your work with people with SLCN
Spread the word about The Box
The RCSLT will be promoting The Box via national press and media; by engaging with civil servants, Ministers and interested MPs and Peers and sharing with colleagues across the justice system.
If you are a speech and language therapist and would like to help spread the word, here are some ways you can help:
- Contact your local justice agency and share this with them
- Consider making a business case to your commissioners to support people with SLCN
- Let RCSLT know if a contact is interested in getting access to speech and language therapy
We have also created some posters for you to share in your networks or print for staffrooms:
Delve inside The Box
The Box contain a series of modules from which people can choose.
|1. Introduction to SLCN||To raise awareness of SLCN and who it can impact|
|Why is it important to recognise individuals with SLCN?|
|To further raise awareness and understanding of SLCN and their complexity|
|2. Recognising individuals with SLCN||To be able to recognise individuals with SLCN|
|To understand the potential impact of SLCN on an individual|
|3. SLCN – why does it happen?||To be aware of the research into the communication needs of offenders|
|To be aware of interrelated issues|
|4. Understanding communication breakdown
(to improve interaction/relationships)
|To understand how communication may breakdown|
|To practice managing communication breakdown|
|5. Screening for SLCN||To be able to screen for SLCN|
|RCSLT & AssetPlus screen (a screening tool for SLCN and neuro-disability)|
|6. Accessible information||To be able to design and adapt written information to make it more accessible|
|7. Language strategies||How to support an individual with SLCN (using language strategies)|
|8. Visual strategies||How to support an individual with SLCN (using visual strategies)|
|9. Legislative responsibility||To understand the support available at the Police station and why this may be required|
|To understand the support available at Court and why this may be required|
|To understand how SEN legislation applies in the CJS|
|10. Commissioning a service||Understanding the evidence which demonstrates the need for SLT services in the CJS|
|Practical guidance on developing a bid for SLT input|
|Providing links with local services|
Find out more
Find out more about speech and language therapy in the justice setting.
On this page we will link to case studies which show the reach and impact of The Box elearning.
Tell us how you’ve used The Box
If you have a case study highlighting how you or your organisation has used The Box elearning we’d love to hear it. Please send your case study to email@example.com. Thank you.